Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pink? Not So Much......


Last weekend I spent some time in my dining room. It sat bare following the holidays as I imagined what I might want to add back in. A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I read the book "Vintage Vavoom" and loved it. What an inspiring tome! I love my vintage treasures. Yet, most of them aren't pink. This has been problematic for me as I see such beautiful homes featured on other blogs. All the romantic pastels......petal pink, robin's egg blue.

While I know it's silly, I have felt pretty bad about it. I love the look of romance. I've thought, HOW could I possible fit in and share photos of my beloved home if I couldn't show others what they love to see? But then, I worked in my dining room, gathering together dishes and textiles, and collections that I have acquired over time. As I thoughtfully put it all together, I came up with a new term. One to describe MY decorating style. Traditional nostalgia. Every item has a story. I know where I bought each trinket. I cherish the hand-me-downs from my family. None of it is "special" enough to be considered "inherited". But it is all so precious to me.
I am a romantic. My house resides on the site of the camp that belonged to my husband's grandparents. I still think of this place as "Grammie Rose's Camp" even though the camp is long gone except for the memories and the underpinning of my front porch.

Why do I think I have to compare myself to others? What a sin. I love seeing the incredible creativity of others and I want to share mine. But pink? Not so much.

A Thursday addendum: Today I read a post at The Inspired Room that settled my doubts about my beloved home. What makes it so special is that it belongs to me. It's a reflection of who I am and what I love and WHO I love. It's called personal style. Thank you Melissa!

4 comments:

  1. I hope you won't mind if I add your blog to my blogroll. (If you do, I'll remove it quickly.)

    Melissa's post was great. Why we try to please everyone else except ourselves always surprises me.

    I read this post yesterday and thought what a perfectly charming space. Who needs pink or pastels unless that is what you enjoy? It does seem odd, however, that your thoughts are so pink! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so glad to have been an encouragement to you in being yourself! If you cannot be yourself in your own home then where can you be YOU? Don't ever be afraid to show your home, although I understand the hesitation (we all face it!). Be proud that yours is truly UNIQUE rather than a carbon copy of someone else's. I for one will jump for joy at the uniqueness, so call me over when you post photos anytime. I'll be pleased to see YOU and not your neighbor when I arrive! That is what is truly magical, being able to create something personal. Copying is easy!

    BIG HUGS,
    xoxo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the glimpses of your style that you have shown of your home. I love it when someone's home reflects who they are and not perfectly arranged objects. I love to see collections, mismatched plates that the owner adores, and treasures from personal life experiences. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was quite a treat to see that photo of a few pink things from your old house! The one we spent so many, many days together in...the one where I peed in the tomatoes. Your style has always inspired me. Your new house is 1000x more you, but the old one was the growing up you. How could it all not be personal? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!