Friday, May 16, 2008

For the Birds

The golf season has begun so I am arriving home to an empty house a couple nights a week. Not that I'm complaining. I decided it was time to change the vignette on my dining room table. I love birds. I've collected these little figurines over time. I won't pay more than 50 cents for one. (can you tell?!) I love decorating but sometimes I look at what I've done and think it seems a little forced. So this is just the detail of the bird arrangement. I'm still working on the final product.
I've been struggling for weeks trying to figure out the top of my hutch. Are there lessons out there on arranging? I could use a class. I do like all of the pieces at the top. It just needs.....something........
I had a great suggestion about covering the back of my hutch. I'm still looking for the perfect fabric or paper. I bought paper but it was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm going to try to use it on a lampshade in the livingroom.
As I developed my vision for the dining room table, I also created this little set up. The green dishes belonged to my great Aunt Betty. She received them as a wedding gift more than 50 years ago. I like how they look with the boxes I found recently at a yard sale.

I'm supposed to be working on wedding projects and planning a graduation party. Instead I've been putting up new curtains and changing things around in my dining room. I like a fresh start in the spring. Won't my daughters be surprised when they arrive for a visit next weekend after being away since Christmas.

5 comments:

  1. Oh everything looks wonderful. I always begin my cleaning sprees with rearranging my things first. It always motivates me. I love your arrangement. Hey I'm jealous I wish my husband would travel a bit, he loves it here too much. Too many days working from home, and saying "What are you doing", "Who just called", "What are you making for dinner"? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few nights a week all to yourself? Sounds like heaven to me! You'll be able to decorate, blog, read blogs, visit friends, talk on the phone, whatever, and all to your heart's content.

    You have beautiful things. I particularly love the dishes and boxes arrangement. You're right that there is something about the color combination that is very pleasing.

    Thanks for being brave and sharing your treasures!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your collection. I'm a bird girl, too...and bells with birds..and I'm always rearranging and not quite liking what I've done with them. And you know, I've not had a few nights or days or anything else to myself since I retired...but I like it just fine...if he gets in my hair to much, I just tell him I saw bugs eating his garden...
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heaven knows I can't help you with arranging or decorating, but I like your hutch. Of course, I'm pretty partial to tea stuff and don't think you can go wrong regardless of how you display it. Thanks for sharing pictures of your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy,
    If I might, and you know I will :),
    If you love the things on the top of your hutch, why not change how they are placed? Maybe put the white dish in the center, and one of each clear glass and pink on either side? You could make it kind of symmetrical? Remember to pattern from that center piece, you might like it. Or, you might not. I know I don’t have any great decorating skills, but maybe you could try it and see.
    Love, Cindy P :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!