Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Garden Up Close

There's a part of me that would love to have just a bit of Gertrude Jekyll in my blood. I'm not a great gardener. In fact, I take a "plant and pray" approach. I love the color that flowers bring to a yard. I just don't like to weed. Since we moved to my dream house, I've been a bit better about the process. The clipping of dead blossoms, watering, inspecting each plant in the yard has become an early morning ritual.

Cosmos are a real favorite. I love their papery leaves.

I could grow a full yard of zinnias. I adore them. This year they are all pink but I like when I have a variety of colors. I've even grown these from seeds. Zinnias are a beginner's flower, very forgiving.

We have been here only three years. Developing a yard full of mature plants take time. That's one of the reasons I like the close up feature of my camera. I can show the best of what my garden has to offer.

4 comments:

  1. Love your flower pictures. I have also been trying to grow flowers but at the moment we have put all of our effort into our garden which is now coming to an end. It has been so hot and I can't even remember when we had our last rain.
    Have a happy flower day.

    Irma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! you gave away the secret: macro buttons on our cameras! we can get down and close! love your flower pictures. your cosmos color is very pretty. I don't think I've ever grown a puple shade like that, mine always come up pink! *heidi*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful pics! Zinnias are some of my favorites, too, for their vibrant colors. I bought what was marked as "White Nicotainia" that turned out to be zinnias; I'm not disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say Cosmos and Zinnias are my very favorite flowers. Hope your flowers are doing well. I have to separate a lot of mine soon, I'll try to get to your house with some!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!