As soon as I heard about the day to remember Tasha Tudor, I asked my mother if I could borrow her Tasha Tudor books. Tasha wrote and/or illustrated more than 100 books so my mom's collection isn't complete but it is filled with happy childhood memories.
In 1979, Tasha's daughter Bethany wrote a memoir about her mother. The photos show a truly unique woman, starting at the very beginning of her life. I admire Tasha Tudor's embrace of the old domestic ways.

Tasha choice of past time and attire were evident from a very early age. The photos of her are just beautiful.
Tasha Tudor's influence on me came at a very early age. "Around The Year" is a book that saw many, many readings by my sisters and me.

My birthday is in March. When reading "Around the Year", I always skipped to my "birthday" page.
Books and Christmas went hand in hand at our house. "Take Joy" is a favorite book given to my sisters and me in 1968. My youngest sister wasn't even born yet!
Aunt Helen and Uncle Conway lived in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. She was a school teacher and he a professor at Gettysburg College. They often sent us books as gifts at the holidays.
I've never owned a Corgi but I've always wanted to. They look like they are smiling all of the time. Tasha's beloved dogs appear in many of her illustrations.
When I was growing up, I could spend hours looking at the details in each picture. One of the things my mom had tucked away was an Advent Calendar with a Tasha illustration. She also had a neat pop-up book. Neither photographed very well but they are still treasured.
There is something timeless about Tasha Tudor's illustrations. They speak of a simpler, gentler life. They speak of beauty and of love. Never anything harsh or cruel.
In the book "A Time to Keep", Tasha Tudor celebrated the holidays with fanciful thoughts and sweet illustrations. For the month of August, she celebrated "Mother's Birthday".
"August brought your mother's birthday which we celebrated at night by the river. The table was set with birch bark plates and gourd cups. There were favors made from walnut shells and families of wooden animals in little baskets...................."
"But best of all, the birthday cake came floating down the river."
Happy Birthday Tasha. You may be gone but your legacy will live on in the example you set through your life and work.
For more about Tasha Tudor, visit Tasha Tudor and Family.
Thank you to Clarice at Story Book Woods and friends for hosting such a special celebration.
P.S. Don't worry Cindy P! Those books are going right back where they came from!
all the photos in this post are taken of books in my mother's personal collection. We promise not to use the images for any other purpose than to celebrate Tasha's life today.

Thank you for a lovely Tasha Tudor entry. And thank your Mom for loaning you the books. :-)
ReplyDeleteMiss Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh blog
Good, because my "books" were graphics from the web. I do not own not one book. Some day, maybe, but not today.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great tribute. I had forgotten about the Birthday cake floating down the river, but in an instant it brought back memories. Wouldn't be a great thing to do for Mom's 70th? (Provided the weather is kind, and we can get a cake down the river. :) )
The birthday cake floating down the river is a wonderful image!
ReplyDeleteGreat Tasha Tudor tribute post.
What a wonderful collection!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your tribute very much!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I enjoyed visiting yours as well and know I'll be back again!
ReplyDeleteInjoyed your lovely post!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog and comment.
This is such a lovely post on Tasha Tudor and you have such a big collection of her books.. and I shouldn't be saying this but I envy you.. hehehehehe
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing.. Have a great weekend!..
Yours is only the third tribute I've read so far...must get to visit all the others.
ReplyDeleteI love your memories of such gentle books and charming illustrations. Your mom has a lovely collection!
This was a lovely Tasha Tudor post. Lucky you to have access to all those wonderful books. What a great collection!
ReplyDeleteManuela