Friday, December 19, 2008

Twenty Little Things to Treasure about Christmas

Melissa at The Inspired Room is at it again! I love her invitations to list the "Little Things". Those small details are the ones that make special times even more memorable. Welcome to my list of Twenty Little Things, the Christmas Edition. For more Little Things, be sure to visit The Inspired Room!

1. The hand knit Christmas stockings my grandmother made for us all, filled with treats, even if there aren’t many other presents under the tree.
2. Writing Christmas cards with my sister, mother, daughters, and nieces.
3. Hot chocolate with a candy cane.
4. The quiet moment on Christmas morning when I get up before the rest of the family and turn on the tree lights.
5. Christmas Cookies, especially frosted sugar cookies.

6. Candlelight walks at midnight Christmas Eve
7. Singing Silent Night
8. Listening to Handel’s Messiah.
9. Filling manicotti with Karen.
10. New pajamas (don’t tell the girls!)
11. The same old family stories told year after year.
12. Hearing from old friends via colorful greeting cards
13. Wishing my grandmother Happy Birthday. This year she will be 87 on December 23.
14. The felt ornaments my Beepa made the year we had little else for Christmas but each other.
15. The sound of bells.
16. Paper whites
17. Burl Ives
18. New Snow falling at just the right moment.
19. The sound of my daughters’ laughter.
20. Baby Jesus in the Manger. Emmanuel. God with Us. The biggest little thing ever.


The time grows near for a sacred pause. We are expecting a snow storm and our two daughters tomorrow. My heart turns toward home and preparations for the season. Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

  1. You've put together a lovely list. We share many of the same sweet little things. Enjoy your sacred pause (what a great expression)

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful list. I am having a wonderful day today because I received the nicest package in the mail! Thank you so much! I love everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I loved them all, but my eyes filled up just reading Burl Ives' name. I love that voice and now I want to hear a rendition of "Silver and Gold." Now that year that you had nothing much but each other lives in memory as one of your very best Christmases, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful list! I especially like all your references to music, and I love the photographs of your little frosted village. Merry Christmas! ~Arleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A sacred pause.." I have never heard it spoken of that way. I will always think of Christmas as a sacred pause from now on.
    Thank you for the lovely Christmas gift. Merry Christmas!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  6. All wonderful things to enjoy about Christmas, Kathy!

    I want to take the opportunity to wish you a wonderful, merry Christmas and a new year filled with love and joy!
    XO,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!