Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reading Room

There's something about January that makes me want to sit down and read a good book. When I was growing up, reading was the purest form of escape I knew. I escaped regularly! I have a pile of books in my bedroom begging to be read. For now, I'm joining my daughter on her quest to read the top 100 books of the 20th century as chosen by Random House/Modern Library. She's starting at 100; Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

My mother can't wait for me to read "The Shack". She absolutely loved it. The book will arrive on my doorstep today. I'll make room to read it over the next week.

For a long time, I didn't allow myself to sit down and read for simple pleasure. I felt I should be doing something more "worthy". This year, I am giving myself permission to escape a little more often.

What are you reading these days?

5 comments:

  1. Kathy,

    That sounds like an inviting idea. It's also a healthy one, because reading can distract us from dwelling on uncertain things that are out of our control.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter"...

    Salmon Rushdie...oh boy! He's interesting to say the least.

    Hope you do enjoy "The Shack." I gave it to my son for Christmas and wrote a brief note inside saying that I thought it was one of the most profound books ever...not the writing, the content.

    Enjoy your time reading! I know I have been enjoying mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you reading these days?

    I picked up some cheap paperbacks at Chapters the other day, but what with quilting, cross stitching, blogging and daily living, I don't have enough hours in the day at the moment....LOL

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh should add, dd is giving me "Twilight" to read next week, as she has just finished it, and bought the second in the series this week.

    So I will have to find time to read that.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog, what a lovely site, I look forward to stopping by again. I just read The Shack and was so moved by it I blogged about it. I guess people are divided if they love it or hate it. I hope you are also blessed by it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!