Thursday, August 6, 2009

Choose.....Wisely..........

Remember the scene at the end of the Indiana Jones movie, “The Last Crusade”, when they finally reach the cave that holds the Holy Grail? They are instructed to choose the true grail and the greedy man can only see the sparkling goblets? After he chooses, the knight tells him, “You chose…….badly” and the man is consumed in flames? Sometimes I feel that way about my life. So many sparkling choices and sometimes I choose badly.

My dear sister called a few days ago to tell me the sunflowers were in bloom at a farm near her house. The summer days fill fast when you work full time and I didn’t see how I could make it down to her house four hours away. So, I declined, promising to come another year.

Then a weekend showed up, wide open, and I took a trip to another farm; one with daylilies. Not that this was a bad choice, per se. It was a blessing to spend an unexpected day with my stepmother. I truly enjoyed the time with her. Yet, in hindsight, I realize my sister’s invitation was a little deeper than I understood at the time and I let her down.

I want to be like Indiana Jones, who saw the simplest goblet and knew immediately it was the thing he was searching for. He didn’t fear what the contents held. I want to choose perfectly each time. My choice to visit the daylily farm was made in good faith and I was rewarded for it. I don’t have regrets except one.

Cindy posted a beautiful photograph on her blog of the sunflowers. I love her so much. I know a wagon ride through the sunflowers would have been a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon with my beloved sister. I know she feels far away from the rest of us and I would do anything to help her see we are always close in our hearts. I won’t make the same mistake twice—and I am so thankful to the God who allows us more than one chance to choose wisely.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post today Kathy. We often make a choice that isn't quite the right choice. The best we can do is learn from it. I pray you'll get another chance to spend a special time with your sister. I'm like you, I want to choose wisely....often I don't. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not fret, I think it was the right choice....

    I love you, and was so excited to see a different field of flowers, though I did not comment about it. Maybe we can do a trip there next year as well? There were some day lilies on your collage I WANT!

    The choice was a good one. Maybe, the clay cup was the one person who often gets overlooked in our lives. I know that it is not me.

    You all spoil me rotten.... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!