Remember, Christie, a couple of years ago, you and Grama and I went yard-saling on Memorial Day weekend? I think it was the same day we found that amazing estate sale and I bought a lot of vintage black painted trays. (wasn’t that an amazing sale?)
We were driving around, looking for treasure, and we saw a sign leading up a hill to a sale off the main road. We drove and drove and drove out that back road and finally came to the house that was having a sale. Most of the stuff wasn’t worth stopping for but we poked around. I think Grama may have found that Thomas Cook picture of Jesus she has hanging in her kitchen.
I found this old school desk for $10. I loved the patina and the old red paint. I remember sitting at desks with tops that opened and held school books and supplies. When I was a girl, desks were lined up in neat rows where teachers could see each student from the front of the room. As I grew older, we progressed to little groups of four, two desks side by side, facing each other. You worked awfully hard to get the desk in an already full car, sharing the back seat with my treasured find.
I bought the old desk on that day with the hope and prayer that one day I would have a grandchild to sit at the desk up in my studio. He or she would be able to open the top when they visited, discovering art supplies, books, and other goodies only a Nana can provide.
Now I know that in the not too distant future, someone will be coming to the house for visits and sitting at my the little red school desk. I am praying for a happy, healthy baby for you, my dear daughter. What other treasure could I seek now than to be in the studio with you both, happily passing an afternoon?
How soon? Any day now?
ReplyDeleteThis is such a sweet post because it captures so perfectly the feelings a grandmother has upon knowing that a grandchild is going to soon hold the keys to her heart (if the little one doesn't already).
Congrats on becoming a grandma soon. That's wonderful news. Hugs
ReplyDeleteOh..what a lovely rememberie!! That post needs to be saved and put into the little darling's baby book..sweet!!
ReplyDelete