Monday, January 2, 2012

A Whole New World

christmas 2011 009

After Irene swept through Vermont, another life altering event happened.  My grandson was born on September 16th.  While my daughter was pregnant, I called him “little bobo”, teasing her about what his nickname would be when he came to visit his Nana. 

I wasn’t quite sure what it would be like being a grandmother.  At first, it didn’t feel like much at all; mostly it felt surreal, seeing my daughter and son-in-law taking care of a baby.  I made a couple of visits to Virginia this fall to see Christie and her new family.  Christie is a natural when it comes to being a mother.  She is doing a great job learning how to care for a baby.  It’s not easy when most of your support is so far away.

Thanksgiving was lovely with both daughters home.  Mike and I set up the crib he slept in as a baby. “Little bobo” would be the third generation in the crib.  I wondered if he would be safe in something 50 years old but his mother assured me many babies “survived” in that bed.

Then came Christmas.  “Little bobo’s”  name is Abel.  Abel was a favored son in the Bible, loved by God.  His name means breath.  Now three and a half months old, Abel is a bright, engaging baby.  And I am completely smitten.  His presence changed the face of the season.  He is the new center of our universe.  I spent too much money on toys he isn’t quite ready for and superman pajamas.  I thought I loved my husband as much as I could already but my heart just broke wide open seeing Mike with Abel.  He took Abel out for walks, once in the sled that belonged to him and his siblings.  I could see Grampa out in the yard, talking to his grandson.  I wondered what they were talking about.  The image of them together is now etched in my memory

.christmas 2011 005

Today Abel had to return to Virginia, along with my two daughters and my son-in-law.  I reminded myself as “little bobo” dozed on my shoulder while his parents packed the car, you have to take the bad with the good.  I hated saying goodbye.  Being a grandmother is a game changer.  It’s a whole new world.

5 comments:

  1. Ohhh, thank you for letting us know that Abel is here and that all is going so well in your world. I'm a little misty-eyed with your new role as grandmother and observer of the other grandparent. What a lovely way to start my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad to blogged. You've been missed so much this year. Congrats on your new grandson. Being a grandma is pretty special. Our 10th grandchild was born just before Christmas. We are smitten too. Hugs and love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kat, thank you! I am teary as I write this, knowing how hard that departure can be......I remeber holding little girl bundles as their mom and dad packed other cars in the not so distant past. I want you to know that I think "bobo" is lucky he has this Nana to love him as he grows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to return to blogland! Abel sure is lucky to have such a loving Nana and Grampa, and a fun and welcoming place to visit as he grows up! Hopefully sooner than later the distance for visiting wont be so far so it can be more often! Love you Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kathy I haven't visited for a while but I am so glad I did! Your grandson is adorable! Oh and that precious picture with that sled and plaid blanket. How very special that you have saved that sled. I actually remember being in one of those as a child with my sister on the ice growing up in a small town in New England. It brought back a flood of memories.

    Congratulations! You life will never be the same. Grand babies are the best part of growing up =)
    (like Foldgers in your cup) LOL I just had to type that hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!