Monday, August 6, 2012

And then I saw the Hornworm

 

IMG_1401

I’ve been waiting all summer for this day.  Today I cut my first bouquet of zinnias.  I love the way there are a variety of colors—seeds all from the same package.  I got up early to cut the flowers to take to work.  It was nice to see those cheerful blooms on the corner of my desk.

IMG_1403

The sunflowers are close to blooming too.  Every year I think I would like to have sunflowers in the garden but I haven’t been successful.  Either the seeds don’t “take” or I simply forget to plant them. 

IMG_1404

Earlier this spring, Mike got a load of manure from a local farmer. As our seedlings started to sprout in the raised beds behind the house, we wondered what the plant was, cropping up where it didn’t belong. I pulled most of them as weeds but let the last few get bigger in the bed that had no other plant. It wasn’t long before I could see what the mystery plant was—an unexpected gift from G.M.’s cows.

IMG_1406

This was my morning, enjoying the early part of the day, admiring flowers and the yard.  Not so much tonight.  I went out to pick some basil and noticed a menace in the tomatoes.  Hornworm.  They don’t deserve a photo op.  No insect the length and width of my finger belongs in my yard.  EW. 

1 comment:

  1. The zinnias are beautiful. I have some this year finally and they have grown quite tall, though not as tall as yours seem to be. I will cut some this morning for a bouquet and think of you!

    Thanks for your sweet email. I inadvertently deleted it in a ruthless moment of cleaning my inbox. Yes. We shall plan on it before glory. The next time I'm heading for Vermont, I'll be sure to be in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!