Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Renewed

This last Saturday my mother and I went on a field trip to a townwide yard sale where my sister lives. Townwide yard sales are fun. Generally there is a central location where the sponsoring organization is headquartered (in this case, the Lioness). A map of the town is provided with all of the participating yard sales listed. Mom and I didn't explore too much this time. We mostly went down to say hello to Beth but we did cruise around to a few spots. I found this cabinet at a porch sale. It was sort of hidden behind a couple of old child's car seats.


Painted black, covered in old wrapping paper and adorned with green trim hot glued on, the price was $5. As I took a closer look, the guy said he would take $3! $3? I paid more than that for a coffee and bagel on my way there! The seller even offered to carry it to my car. SOLD!

I think Mom thought I was nuts when she saw the monstrosity. It seemed beyond hope. Like a pretty girl in an ugly dress, I saw potential. Late Sunday afternoon, I gave her a stripping and a good scrub followed by coats of red spray paint.

Now the $3 cabinet has a home in my livingroom. The color isn't exactly what I wanted (what I really want is Farrow and Ball's Rectory Red--it's not too late!) but now my husband's stacks of magazines have a place behind closed doors and I have a new focal point to build around.

6 comments:

  1. Look how beautifully that turned out! Wowzer! Very good eye, Kathy, and like you say, you paid $3 for a bagel. Bet that guy wanted enough to go get himself one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow did that turn out great. You've been missed. Hope you are having a wonderful summer. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cabinet! Even in it's ugly dress. :)

    What a nice colorful addition to your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great find. What a charming little cupboard for $3.00

    It is always so fun to stumble upon some great treasure when you are really not expecting one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so PROUD of you!! It's done, well except for a different red, and already resides where you said it would live! no Procrstination. I'm So proud!ava

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy! Welcome to the guest list!!! We're gonna have a great time. Would you do me a favor? I think it will be so much easier for us to leave comments on your blog if you disable the word verification during the party. If you don't know how e-mail me and I will talk you through it. See you Friday!!!

    Karen
    My Desert Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!