Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter Parade

Welcome to my post for Miss Sandy's Easter Parade! I haven't really had much ambition to create a craft for the Easter Season. Maybe it's the two feet of snow still on the ground with more to come! I haven't done any baking except for some sugar cookies I sent to my daughters. But Easter is my favorite holiday of the year and I wanted to join in!

Easter has always been a grand holiday in my family. As Christians we celebrate first the resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ. When I was growing up, our Easter baskets were hidden throughout the house. Quite a feat given that our house wasn't very big and there were four of us girls! This tradition remained during the childhood of my own children and I have no doubt they will carry on the hide and seek for their own children someday!

We have many traditions in our family during this special time but none compares with the Easter Egg Hunt at Grama's house. Following are photos from what I remember to be the very first hunt--20 years ago.




This may not seem like much to all of you in blogland, but to my children and their cousins, the Easter Egg Hunt is one of the premiere events of the year in our family. After dinner, while the women clean up, the men go out and hide eggs all over the yard around my mother's house. Mom fills plastic eggs with candy and coins. No hard boiled eggs are used! When the kids were small, they lined up and were released to hunt from youngest to oldest. At the height of the egg hunting years, there were four boys and four girls chasing around the yard, sometimes covered with snow! When it was determined that all eggs were found, the kids would line up again for Grama to count. Everyone got a prize.

Today the little girls featured in the photographs are grown young women. Sadly, both are unable to join Grama for dinner this year. I know they both will miss the hunt. More importantly, we will miss them.

May you all have a happy and blessed Easter celebration. Thanks to Miss Sandy for hostessing such a lovely Parade of ideas and memories.

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful. This was perfect to share! What a little doll baby.

    Happy Easter to you and your family

    Blessings! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Spring and Blessed Easter Kathy!

    I always had Easter egg hunts for my children too! Now they are grown up, and hopfully will do the same for their children when they have them.

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful memories live forever! Your missing family members will have those fun times to remember on Easter.

    I love reading your thoughts about Easter's true meaning.

    If we can't have Easter outside our windows, we shall have to create it inside. You'll do great at that for, after all, it's your favorite holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet memory to hold onto and a grand tradition to continue. Love your blog name and banner...that is some gorgeous transerware there! : )

    c

    happy Easter parade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely memories, thank you for sharing them with us.

    Happy Easter and a wonderful spring to come.

    Kaen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great, I love all of the traditions and ways that families celebrate the holidays. Thanks for sharing yours. What a sweet little dress. Happy Easter !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have Easter Egg hunts for my Grandchildren. Awesome Pictures.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the fond memories at Grama's house. That is great to have such a wonderful tradition that everyone looks forward to. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet you on the parade route...such a lovely post.

    I remember those snowy Easters growing up in New England, Spring will arrive soon, promise! ;)

    Happy Easter Kathy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Miss Sandy here, thank you for joining the Waster Parade!

    You post is so heat touching, it is the essence of Easter, faith and family! Thank you for sharing your tradition and your precious photos. My childhood was filled with hunts just such as these always held at my grandmothers house. After church we all assembled for a big dinner, the women clean up and the men retired to the porch to sit and wait for the Easter bunny to come by. My uncle always told us he might have to shoot that bunny or turn a hunting hound loose on him for cluttering up his yard with colored eggs. My two cousins and I would beg and plead for him not to do it. He always had a twinkle in his eye while he said it and we knew he didn't mean it, we knew that he was our Easter bunny who hid the eggs and we loved him so very much. He passed away at the age of 52 a few years ago and your post made me recall with fondness our family egg hunt. Thank you for pulling me back to the past and for sweet reminders of days gone by. Have a truly blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blessings to you this Easter weekend!

    Easter egg hunts are a big tradition for us too, such a fun event!

    xo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great memories. Pleasure marching with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Easter, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!