Monday, June 2, 2008

Grand Teton and Yellowstone

This week, Judy at My Front Porch invites us to share our travel stories. My dilemma isn’t that I haven’t been anywhere but where I want to show first. I’ve decided to go with a dream come true. Two years ago, my husband told me that he would take me where ever I wanted to go on vacation. It was a no-brainer. I wanted to go to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

In September, 2006 Mike and I flew into the Jackson Hole Airport, the only airport in the United States located within the boundaries of a National Park. We arrived late at night. No lights were visible from the sky. Once we got out onto the main road and headed toward Jackson, we weren’t quite sure what we had gotten ourselves into. For eight miles, there wasn’t any sign of civilization. Thankfully there was only one road and we were on it.
Early the next day, we got up and headed back toward Grand Teton National Park. My dream came true. It was silly to cry but to actually see with my own eyes the majesty of the mountains God created was beyond words. So, here are some photos of my vacation with my beloved husband, who thought Jackson Hole would be filled with rich people and shopping (he took me anyway) and found out instead that it was a wild place filled with natural wonders.

A first view of Grand Teton

Jenny Lake

The "magic" hour. Early morning in Grand Teton National Park was mysterious and beautiful. Even my husband agreed that God's hand formed this place.

We took a day trip to Yellowstone and saw Old Faithful. We took a really long walk there to look at hot water bubbling out of the ground. After we returned home, we saw a nature special on mega-volcanos and the theories around what is brewing under the surface at Yellowstone. I'm glad I saw the show AFTER my visit!

In Wyoming, Bison have the right of way, as do all large wildlife. It was truly amazing the animals we saw there: Bison, Antelope (prong horn deer), moose, elk, bald and golden eagles.

"Jackson Hole" from the top of Signal Mountain. The Snake River runs through it.

Picture Postcard Perfection

One of the discoveries that made our vacation memorable was the Elk were in mating season. The bulls "bugled" to the cows, creating harems to mate with. Early morning was the best time to see the herds. The sound of the Elk bulls was eerie and other-worldly.

Mike and I hiked together. The longest hike I took was up a trail into a place called Cascade Canyon. I was proud of my endurance and strength (I'm not exactly physically fit!) and I was rewarded with views seen only by those who make the effort.

More Picture Postcard Perfection

Chapel of the Transfiguration. This final photo was taken as I sat in the front pew of the church. What a blessing it was to be able to make a visit to such a place. We are so fortunate to have such diverse and beautiful places to see here in the United States. Thank you, Judy, for hosting such a wonderful opportunity for us to share our travel experiences!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting your beautiful photos of Grand Teton and Yellowstone! We visited Yellowstone the previous summer...so your post brought back so many memories. We truly are blessed to be able to travel freely and see God's amazing creation everywhere. The picture taken from the front pew...is that through an open window? Beautiful!

    I've added your link to my 'travel tour'. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Those pictures are amazing. I know what it means to weep at the beauty of the earth and I can't think of anywhere that might do it so well as Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Got a chuckle out of your seeing the special about the rumblings beneath the ground AFTER you got home...very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! What wonderful photos you took of all the amazing beauty. I must see Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons someday! Thanks!
    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun trip! I bet it is absolutely breathtaking!

    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped over from Judy's travel tour, and what a treat to see your photos of the mountains in Wyoming! Absolutely beautiful! The last photo of the cross and mountains is very meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your pictures and narrative. We have been to Yellowstone too, and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a truly beautiful spot on the planet.

    …one of those special places where God shows us a glimpse of His Glory…

    I have only been to two national parks, and after seeing Glacier a few years ago, I hope to visit many more in our retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yellowstone is my favorite! I grew up often going through Glacier and Yellowstone and dearly love both. I haven't been to Yellowstone in over 10 years, but we are going this summer and taking our son for his first time! He is almost 9 and will be fascinated.

    Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!