Thursday, June 5, 2008

Quilt Memories

What better time than during Quill Cottage's "I Remember Laura" quilt week to honor my mother, Barbara Sweeten. When I was growing up, she didn’t make quilts. However, she did make clothes. I don’t have too many photos of the outfits but this one on an Easter Sunday shows my sisters and me in creations sewn by Mom. I only wish I had a photo of me in the skirt made from Peter Maxx fabric. At that time, I felt so “mod”!

It wasn’t until we were all grown that Mom discovered the joys of quilting. For the last 20 years, she has made countless quilts both for sale and for gifting. An early memory involves my niece Jenn. When she was about 18 months old, her handmade quilt was stolen at a sports event. (I can’t imagine what kind of person robs a small child of their blanket but that’s another story!) Mom faithfully made Jenn a second quilt, doing her best to recreate the blessed first. When Jenn saw the quilt, she made the sound babies make when they are relieved and happy. Her friend, returned!

Most of those baby quilts made for her grandchildren are in tatters now, loved literally to pieces. The quilts have covered the beds of my nephews—one of whom is now serving our country in the Navy. They covered dorm room beds. Above is a photo of my daughter’s first day of college—she is covered by Grama’s love in the form of a colorful orange signature quilt. They have covered the bed of my younger daughter, who traveled three summers with a youth circus in New England. A tattered “blueberry” quilt comforted my niece Samantha when she chose a rocky path away from her family. She is home now and has taken ownership of her father’s quilt, one that my mother made for my brother-in-law following his father’s death. The quilt is made from his dad’s old flannel shirts.

A new generation is now forming and my mother is at work creating new pieced tokens of love. I know that my little bride will read this post so I am not going to describe her bridal quilt—let’s just say she put her order in years ago and now it’s being honored. A great grandchild is on the way as well. My sister Beth is going to be a grandmother in true fashion. That little tyke will probably come home wrapped in one of Grama’s creations.

It’s not just our family who have benefited. Whenever Mom knows of a baby being born, she makes a quilt. Sometimes it takes a while for its completion. Mom works full time and her health causes her to get pretty tired during the week. Yet, her sewing room continues to be filled with bags of little shapes of fabric, just waiting to be sewn into works of love and art.

When it comes to Little House on the Prairie, my mother comes to mind again. She taught my sisters and me the love of reading. I vividly remember escaping the day in the pages of Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I remember reading those books to my sister Cindy who is seven years younger than me. I’m of an age that remembers when Little House on the Prairie first came on television. We had little parties each week with our neighbor Mary Ruth, making fudge and counting M & M’s as Pa Ingalls taught Laura lessons on life; lessons of sacrifice; lessons on the love of family; lessons of service to others. My mother has taught us those lessons too, in the form of quilts. I love you Mom!

For more quilt stories and Laura Ingalls Wilder, visit Miss Sandy at Quill Cottage. Thanks to you, Miss Sandy, for hosting such a meaningful blog-a-thon called “I Remember Laura”.

11 comments:

  1. You can add "on the couch in the living room at her first home" to the list, because that's where my signature quilt is now! I cuddle up in it almost every night when I'm hanging out with Case watching TV. I definitely have cuddled up in it when missing home over the past years too. And I can't wait for the one you can't describe to take it's place on our bed! Good post, Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet memories are wrapped up in your heart.

    I too am scratching my head over stealing a baby's blanket. Let's assume they were homeless and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I just loved reading this post. It's filled with love and good memories, including the one of the wee one who had her quilt stolen only to have it replaced. Wow.

    Your mom is incredible to have kept on going with the quilting. My mom has pretty much given it up. Rheumatoid arthritis has taken its toll and so many things are a challenge.

    I loved your saying you could get lost and come to Maine. I'd love that! :D

    We hope to visit Vermont again in a month or so. It was so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful memories of years gone by!

    How special for all those who have been blessed with your mom's quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading about the wonderful heirloom quilts made by your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat memories! As for stealing the baby's blanket---I'll agree with Laura Ingalls Gunn. Hopefully they really, really needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story about your mom. Her love is sure put into the quilts she makes. Your family is sure lucky to have the beautiful quilts. (I would love one!!)
    *Heidi*

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting post! Your mom must be a very special lady. Thank you for taking the time to share.

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an inspiration your quilted memories are! Thank you so much for sharing both the memories and the quilt pictures, they are just lovely!

    Blessings,
    Miss Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!