Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Finally, Fall Nesting

I'm glad fall doesn't truly begin for a couple more weeks. It gives me time to move my summer home to a fall retreat. That was the plan last week when work took the wind out of my sails instead. Over the weekend I finally had a chance to putter around the house. Autumn is slowly making its way into my home. I love the smell of spices and pumpkin this time of year. So I made an old family favorite: Pumpkin Cake.

In 1982, my mother hand wrote a "cookbook" for me. The recipe for Pumpkin Cake was included. Mom commented that she got the recipe from a girl she went to high school with. It had been in her family fo about 100 years (at that time).

Pumpkin Cake

1/2 cup shortening

2 eggs

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp ginger

1 cup pumpkin (I used canned)

3/4 cup milk

1 cup raisins

1 1/4 cup sugar

2 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Thoroughly cream shortening and sugar. Blend in beaten eggs. Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with pumpkin and milk into creamed mixture. Add nuts and raisins. Pour into greased angel food pan. Bake 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.

Has anyone else noticed the number of acorns and squirrels that are available for purchase to decorate your home with this fall? I found a couple of neat acorns at Pier One. There's nothing like a bowl of apples either as the days grow chilly. The apples in my wooden bowl are destined for an apple pie. Won't that make my husband happy!

6 comments:

  1. We are having beautiful warm weather these days...so I'm kind of postponing fall. But what could be more symbolic of 'fall...nesting' than pumpkin cake? It looks yummy! And how special to have a handwritten recipe book from your mom! I've been trying to locate my mom's handwritten recipe book...it is a 'missing' treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...yum! ...I'd love to taste that cake!!!

    *Heidi*

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL!
    I could retreat there myself. :')

    Hmm, pumpkin cake.. not as good as her fruit cake, but yummy! Today, I made banana bread. But, Mom's pumpkin cake is one for me to do another day.

    Love, ya!
    Cindy P :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is looking so cozy there! I want to drop by for a cup of tea and a slice of your pumpkin cake. (I just bought my first can of pumpkin for the season last night...hmmmmm.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I`m asking to all the Bloggers to support our dear FRIEND Mandy!
    Please do come over, and DO LEAVE A COMMENT!

    Kisses
    Debbie Moss

    Thanks so much for your SUPPORT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fall nesting! I have NEVER heard of that book either, it looks like a must read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!