Isn't that what nests are? Home? I am an avid bird watcher. I don't know their names or even their practices but I am keenly aware of them. The nest is a place of security. After a day of searching for food (work) birds return back to their place in the trees, or under the brush, or where ever the nest happens to be. Babies are hatched and reared in the nest until they take their first tentative flights and finally, at last, they fly away.
Nesting to me isn't so much about decorating as it is about having a haven. A place to land; a sanctuary in the storm. Nesting is about creating an atmosphere of peace. Oh, I have some little vignettes lined up to make things pretty. Mostly I want to make some spice cupcakes, vacuum, and wait for my husband to return home from work. We'll have dinner and discuss our day.
I grew up with a tumultuous home life. Divorce and near-poverty kept us moving, eventually away from my mother. Mom has a big picture of "The Gathering of the Clans" framed in oak. She rescued it from the trash when she was eight years old. Wherever that big picture hung, no matter how frightful, that was home. The Gathering of the Clans was a touchstone for what we held dear--being together.
My fall decorating will get done as time and energy permits. But nesting? Nesting is my dearest goal. At the end of a busy day, when I am tired and ready to find a place of rest, my heart turns toward home.
I'm sorry that there has been some scaling back at your company. Seems as if it's happening everywhere...hiring freezes left and right. Hope that your nesting time eases the stresses.
ReplyDeleteHome is where we want to be when we need a little comfort. I hope the next week will be better.
ReplyDeleteKathy
Hi! Nice to meet you. It is interesting to see how folks in the US start doing things in their homes for different seasons. Not something we do here, except of course Christmas.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting and commenting.
My hubby and I are facing some of those cutback times and boy it is rough! But nesting seems to make everything feel safe again.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, dear.
Take care & enjoy your fall lovelies,
Melissa