Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Weekend Away

What a blessing it was on Friday to fly to Virginia to spend the weekend with "the newlyweds". It gave me something to think about as I said goodbye to my youngest daughter. Karen safely arrived in Philly and is beginning to settle a bit. I'm praying a job isn't too far in the future!
My husband told me "it's your fault" that the girls live so far away. It is my fault because I taught them they could go anywhere and do anything if that was their dream. Who knew they would actually go?? Anyway.
Christie lives in Northern Virginia. We will never run out of fun things to do when I visit her. This last weekend we finally had time to just shop and visit. No wedding planning anymore! Saturday we visited an "old town" called Occoquan. Virginia is filled with little towns that still have main streets and lots of boutique shopping. Since this was as close to a vacation as I would get this year, I played "tourist".
Sunday we visited a flea market at the Courthouse in Arlington and then we crossed the Key Bridge to Georgetown. I've been through Georgetown by car but I've never parked and walked. It's a mecca of high end retailers but that wasn't the attraction for us. We went to see the C & O Canal. It's hard to believe right in the heart of Washington DC is this peaceful walkway along water. The canal runs parallel to the Potomac River. After a brief visit to Paper Source (the only shop we entered!) we had lunch at Mr. Smith's.
Mr. Smiths had a lovely garden diningroom. Here's Christie examining Mr. Smith's menu. We tease Christie because no matter where we go to eat, she orders Caesar Salad! She must have been looking at the menu to confirm her salad availability.

I took quite a few photos along the canal but since this is nesting week, I'm showing photos of the front of a couple of the buildings. The blue painted brick glowed in the sunshine.

I found a few treasures on my mini vacation. I'll post about them tomorrow. All week I will be transforming my house from a summer house to a fall "retreat". Stop by to see Melissa at the Inspired Room to join in the fun.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a fun weekend! What could be better than playing tourist and visiting your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am calling you!
    (BTW: I am glad you had a great time with Christie.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now, I ordered a caeser salad with JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN on it, so it's not like I ordered it to be ultra safe from tasting new things... although, the jerk was a flavor I was already familiar with. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fun you had this past weekend. I had to laugh that your girls really did believe you. You done real good and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fun and well deserved weekend away! It must have been wonderful to see your daughter and her new husband. You know, your husband gave you a beautiful compliment...you are a good mother to daughters, teaching them they could do anything and go anywhere in life! Congrats to you!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun weekend. I am sure treasuring the times I get to spend with my daughter too. It seems all the sweeter now that the wedding is over and she is no longer living at home (sniff).

    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!