Once Tunbridge Fair comes and goes mid-September and the leaves start to truly turn to autumn ball gown colors, folks around here gain a sense of urgency. There are things to do "before the snow flies". We have watched the swift decline on Wall Street at our house. Mike suggested that maybe we should really stock up the pantry before winter. Should a deep recession hit, we can be more confident knowing we have plenty of peanut butter and toilet paper.
Central Vermonters, particularly the natives, are more easily prepared for the coming winter months. They know what to expect and they prepare for it. The woodpiles are stacked. The tomatoes and blackberries are canned. The red and black and orange hunting jackets are shaken out. The old Vermonters aren't backwards--they have money invested in the stock market too. They also have old fashioned savings accounts and money tucked in coffee cans in the basement freezer. My husband's parents are prepared for whatever comes, either in winter or in the economy. They don't like it. Don't ask my dear father-in-law what he thinks about financial institutions and CEO's. He earned his money in the woods as a logger and on a bulldozer building ponds. He doesn't appreciate the fast money tactics of Wall Street. It's not his way.
This morning there was a hard frost. Any sign of the warm summer months has passed. Autumn is a time of preparation for what is to come. And Winter will come. Often we have snow flurries in October. Mt. Mansfield received a coating over last weekend. Some things are expected. When the cold weather hits, I have a place of rest and security here at my house. We may not know what the financial future holds (does anyone??) but we can prepare for what we do know and hope for the best.
Hi, I took a ride to see my mother the other day. It was a beautiful day, one of those sunny and dark cloud floating by Fall days. The leaves are spectacular already. I enjoyed the ride, I took my mom for a ride down the country roads near Stowe. Have a lovely Fall day. Karen
ReplyDeleteHard frost already, eh? Wow, gives one pause.
ReplyDeleteThe morning's paper has front page pictures of stock brokers from around the world either gasping or slapping themselves in the head. The picture alone nearly made me hyperventilate.
We've not turned on the furnace and it's pretty cold. We'll hold out as long as we can. Ordinarily, I run the furnace whenever I want...even in summer if the weather is damp and chilly. Not this year!
You Vermonters have a lot of grit. I think we're all going to need a lot of grit before this thing is over.
Yup, deepening my pantry, too!
I love the fall. The smell of oatmeal in the morning, and those crisp days when the gray clouds highlight the trees in their glorious "gowns".
ReplyDeleteGuess, what. Even I, your unkowing of world things sister, have heard enough to get us preparing. Add to it the Foxwoods layoff, and we are in for a ride. :) So, I am on the list of those trying to stock up. DJ and Darell have plans for hunting and fishing as much as possible. DJ's been out back scoping things out for awhile now.
Hi Kathy,
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written post. Our wood pile is stacked here, and our pantry is always stocked! As we watch the economic landscape of our country change daily we rest assured the sun will come up tomorrow and the seasons will continue to change.
Blessings!
*Heidi*
PS Thanks for changing my blog link...it's not easy to move!