My sister Beth has a nostalgic streak but has never quite "gotten" my love of old things. So, when I handed her the bag of carolers to hold while I continued my search, I said "Sorry-I know these might freak you out (because she wouldn't understand why I would spend money on such a thing). She exclaimed "where are THEIR EYES??!!" I looked at the bag again and sure enough, many of the little carolers had lost their painted on eyes. I laughed until I cried. They were such a gruesome sight! (I bought them anyway)
Monday, December 8, 2008
Holiday Shopping Story
While I didn't quite meet my goal this weekend to complete my Christmas shopping, I had two days of spending time with some favorite gals. On Saturday my mother and I were joined by my sister Beth. There are a couple of places we go every year. This year we stopped at the local antique mall. Beth and I browsed through dozens of booths, chatting as I scanned each one for possible vintage Christmas treasure. I hit the jackpot with a bag full of dingy Gurley caroler candles.
My sister Beth has a nostalgic streak but has never quite "gotten" my love of old things. So, when I handed her the bag of carolers to hold while I continued my search, I said "Sorry-I know these might freak you out (because she wouldn't understand why I would spend money on such a thing). She exclaimed "where are THEIR EYES??!!" I looked at the bag again and sure enough, many of the little carolers had lost their painted on eyes. I laughed until I cried. They were such a gruesome sight! (I bought them anyway)
It will be no trouble to dot some eyes onto my new carolers and add them to my treasured collection of Gurley candles. My grandmother had a display of them each year. I always loved looking at them when I was growing up. I haven't started decorating yet but when I do, there will be a display of SEEING Angels, deer, and Santa gracing my house. This week! That's the plan!
My sister Beth has a nostalgic streak but has never quite "gotten" my love of old things. So, when I handed her the bag of carolers to hold while I continued my search, I said "Sorry-I know these might freak you out (because she wouldn't understand why I would spend money on such a thing). She exclaimed "where are THEIR EYES??!!" I looked at the bag again and sure enough, many of the little carolers had lost their painted on eyes. I laughed until I cried. They were such a gruesome sight! (I bought them anyway)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your sister sounds like a character! Hope that you got the paint out pronto...perhaps a dot from a Sharpie pen? Wish that someone could get that picture! LOL!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute story, Kathy!
ReplyDeleteStop by my blog when you have a few minutes. I have a couple of awards for you.
Merry Christmas!
Kathy