Friday, January 9, 2009

My Empty Mailbox

No, this isn't my own empty mailbox. I had to borrow the image to illustrate this post. My mailbox is covered in snow on a busy road. I don't dare try to take a photo. Thanks to the photographer who took this photo though.

I am a serious magazine addict. I've tried to cut back on my own over time and have had mixed results. It seems my relationship with the printed page is going to get a makeover through no effort of my own. The other day I received notice that Cottage Living would no longer be in circulation. While it wasn't my favorite magazine, I appreciated the consolation: the remainder of my subscription will be filled out with Southern Accents. I don't know if I will like the substitution. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Then this morning, a terrible blow! It wasn't bad enough to find out Mary Englebreit's creative magazine, Home Companion, took a fall. I don't regularly subscribe to ME but I will miss browsing it just the same. I guess I can look at the old issues I have--it's such a neat magazine I've kept most issues I have purchased. But to find out that COUNTRY HOME is going out of circulation. What a sad day. So many creative people losing their jobs.

My mailbox grows emptier by the day.

My prayers are for all of the people who have provided me with inspiration and happy escape for so many years. As much as I love blogging, there's nothing like a pretty magazine and a cup of tea at the end of a stressful day. I hope as the economy improves, the chances of finding a new avenue for their talents improves as well.

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, the laments are echoing in the halls of Blogdom today...sigh.

    That is a great photo of a mailbox, though. Perhaps it'll be filled instead with colorful inserts and ads. Not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH, I knew Country Cottege was going as I just subscribed via my cousin's son school mag. drive for JR/SR prom fund raiser. The company sent me a list of mags I could order two from to replace CC.
    Sorry about ME's mag. like you I have a few but don't subscribe but flip through it on the newsstand.
    Country Home I am sick about. I've gotten that for YEARS. I had not heard about CH or ME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the mailbox. I don't buy magazines, however I'm an avid reader of them. I get them at the library. Let's hope it doesn't happen to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy you are such a nice lady! Yes, it is sad to drive by strip malls and see so many stores closed and companies closing everywhere. Life is hard for so many. Thanks for reminding us the need to pray for all of those who are losing their jobs.
    XO...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alas, I'm going to miss my favorite mags as well. You just can't crawl in the tub with a laptop!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. I didn't buy any of them regularly but will miss them jus the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!