Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Promise Kept

Christie was home over the weekend. What a blessing to spend time with her! I've promised forever that I would teach her how to use the sewing machine. When I say forever, it's been too long.
When my daughters were growing up, I sewed constantly, making dolls to sell. It was hard for me to be motivated to teach the girls to work on the machine. We did lots of other things but I somehow neglected the opportunity to show them one of the things I know best. What a regret it has been. Thankfully Karen had the chance to sew, both in middle school and again in college. Monday afternoon Christie and I took to the sewing room, heads together, gathered fabric and directions and began our project.

Christie did a great job! We both learned new things and she has a new tote bag to show off her handiwork.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love that, both the bag and the fact that she is learning to sew. One of the best things C and I do is sewing together. Can't wait to see what else she makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful bag and a wonderful day with your daughter. Will you teach me next?
    xo...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a good teacher, mom! That tote bag turned out beautifully. I think that more family members should do things together rather than just sit over a table sipping coffee. Wonder if my daughter would teach me how to paint? Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy,

    I love this bag. Your daughter is lovely and I love all the wonderful hand-made culture popping up within the younger generation. Indie Crafts, Hand-made Nation, and Etsy certainly celebrate a new culture.

    Creating is a wonderful place to be, it's like resting in the eye of the storm. Thank you for your words today on my post, your timing was perfect.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you got to share your craft with Christie. She is so creative, just like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How special that you got to spend some time together and what an awesome bag. Great job! Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!