Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Creative Vision


"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Confucius

My "shape shifting" time isn't over. It's really only just begun. For many years I have struggled with my weight. I'm lousy at getting outside for a walk. I always have an excuse why I can't. I almost wrote one just now about the length of Vermont winters. It became clearer to me as my birthday approached in March that I needed to make a serious change in my life. To have the life I desire, I need to create something new in it. The last couple of weeks I have journaled more than ever. I have sought out wise writers about my diet. I have taken the first steps on the journey to being a vibrant, healthy, creative woman of a "certain age."

I have a creative vision. I wrote in my journal in February the following: "I really believe in getting a smaller, more authentic, creative, holy life." I don't think I am alone in this vision. I think it's the hope of many women. In this troubled time, I think smaller, at last, is better. A cozy home filled with simple treasures and handcrafted beauty. I have this intense desire to live authentically. I'm still learning what that means for me. Creative? I've read so many books on creative living I could write my own! Holy? That's most problematic since I am such a messy Christian woman. Yet I think it comes naturally as you let go of the pretense in your life. Not perfection though. I'm tired of that pursuit. It hasn't brought me much happiness.

When I began blogging in July 2007, the tag line in my head was "the search for a more creative life." I believe I found it. Now I have to live it. That is, perhaps, authenticity. It may also be the key to the healthier life I long for. One of the challenges for me as a blogger is the same challenge I have in "real life". I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm not good at keeping things on the surface. I've struggled with my frankness and I've thought there was no place for it here. Yet I think it's time to live as "me" and not as someone I think I "should" be.

I'm back to posting. I hope I can bring something to the blogland conversation. I'm blessed to have the friends I have made because of Shocking Pink Thread. Now to find time for a walk!

2 comments:

  1. My dear friend, I'm glad you are back to blogging. You have been missed.

    Yesterday in conversation with a friend, I was talking about my weight and how I need to change my eating habits and the way I present a meal to our family. I could have almost wrote this post myself. I'm so glad you did.

    There is so much room for thought here. Thank you for sharing your heart. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think that you bring a great deal to the table. Further, I think that you represent a whole lotta women out here in Blogdom.

    You could write that book you know! No joke.

    Until you do, I'll read here and see what steps you're taking next. Oh my excuse for not walking today was that I hate singing in the rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!