Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fifteen Minutes

Sometimes it feels like I bite off more than I can chew. Most of it is self-inflicted. I'm a master list maker. I have folders for everything. I told my daughter yesterday I get tired of always being in a state of self improvement. My lists are never ending. I fall short of my own expectations every day.

I don't want to get so caught up in what I haven't done, that I miss the joy of what I have accomplished. The basement is coming along. I'm about halfway through the chaos. I've been pecking away at it fifteen minutes at a time. Pretty soon I will have an organized basement, lots of things for the thrift shop and a place to store the pretty things I'm not using right now but would like to keep. I'm certain I could have a vintage tablecloth curtain in my kitchen in just fifteen minutes.



I'd like to use the fifteen minute rule for other things too, like taking a much needed walk. Or sitting in the sunshine (should the sun ever come out again!). Fifteen minutes can do a world of good like taking 15 minutes to call my beloved mother-in-law or writing a note to someone I know could use some encouragement.

The other day when I picked up my mother to start on our trip, she asked me if I wanted to take a few minutes to see her daffodils. I did. My stepfather, Scott, has a beautiful yard with long rows of daffodils blooming. He's planted them all to please my mother. I took the time to discover the pink daffodils Mom expressed a desire for last spring. On Mother's Day, I gifted her with a promise of bulbs for the fall planting. This spring they have bloomed. I took fifteen minutes to stop and see the flowers. It's a bit cliche, I know.

Fifteen minutes toward a goal. Fifteen minutes to cheer someone up. Fifteen minutes to take a breath and a break. Fifteen minutes to see the beauty before us.



2 comments:

  1. It's those 15 minutes that all add up to something quite spectacular. I'm leaving the computer for the rest of the day...so many 15 minutes are frittered off...

    I love those pink daffodils! Loved your photos today, too.

    Oh, are you sharing your basement when done? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used the 15 mins. rule for years and found it very successful. I can totally understand what you're saying. I agree with Vee, so many 15 mins. are frittered away.

    Those pictures are beautiful.

    So glad to hear your basement is coming along nicely. It's going to feel great once it's finished.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!