Ah, September. I always loved the first day of school. The smell of new sneakers and fresh paper still brings back the memories of waiting for the school bus, greeting old friends and the promise of learning something new. When the girls were young, I couldn't wait for them to get home to tell me what they learned. I even liked filling out all of the paperwork they brought home that first day. (crazy, I know!)I liked getting organized and I loved covering my books with brown paper grocery sacks. I grew up in a time where groceries still arrived in paper--and you didn't buy something special to cover your school books with. I loved the smooth feel of the freshly covered book. The brown paper became worn and soft and covered with doodles by the end of the semester. I loved that too.
Today I'm starting an online class with Shimelle Lane called "Learn Something New Every Day". I'm looking forward to seeing the world with new eyes, learning to be more observant and especially creating a little something each day. The class is a special blessing because I'm taking it with my daughter. She shares my love of paper and she definitely loves to learn!
September reigns in the summer. Those carefree days are replaced with a bit of routine, a settling in for the fall. Rather than be sad about the end of summer, I am filled with anticipation for what the autumn might bring.
Awesome!! I love that you are going to be learning something new each day. What an incredible way to start fall. You've been missed dearly and often thought of. Hugs..
ReplyDeleteI hope we'll get regular updates as your class goes.
ReplyDeleteLike you i have those same memories of wrapping school books in brown grocery sack paper - and laugh at the first time I tried to get my kids to use same for wrapping their school books ---- my first encounter with bing 'OLD school'! LOL
Sounds like great fun and especially to be taking the class with your daughter. Your post made me feel nostalgic about school days long past...
ReplyDeleteOhhh I loved my brown paper sack covered school books. What a great memory. I especially loved to doodle on them too. Hmmm I will have to think about covering some books...
ReplyDelete...and my kids don't think I know how to recycle. Ha, they have no idea!