Thursday, January 7, 2010

I shall be telling this with a sigh
somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost

Yesterday, the bridge at the end of my driveway was removed from its footings and prepared to be taken and restored to past glory. It may be six months before I can cross the First Branch to get to the main road. Instead, I have to go up a steep hill for about two miles, cross a back road on the ridge of the hill and then take another secondary road back down to the main road.

At first, I was really annoyed and it took about two weeks to get used to the extra travel when I can SEE the main road from my house. Then as I began to look around me as I drove up the hill, past sugar houses, and pastures where cows and horses graze in the summertime, past old farmhouses, my heart began to change. At the top of the hill, there are views that remind me of the reason Vermont beckons people to visit.

I usually have a two minute commute to work. Now? It takes fifteen minutes on a clear day and much longer on a snowy one. Yet now I have time to prepare, to think, to pray myself into the workday. When I take the road back down the snowy hill toward my house, home takes on an even deeper meaning.

I wasn't given a choice about which direction to take on the road. The decision was made for me when we were told the bridge would be closed for 8-10 months. I do have a choice on how I will respond. It has made all of the difference.

5 comments:

  1. If there was a "like button," I'd click it. Great post, Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about attitude isn't it. I too love this post. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I tell you...I was here last night and read this and, too tired to comment, slipped out. But this morning, I was looking at my Friendly Village dishes and there's a scene there so like this photo that I thought of this post all over again. I was even going to send you a picture of dish. Ha!

    Well, if this isn't something. To see something in a new way is a gift and I'm thinking that you will find this little detour a marvelous gift as you're already suggesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    So true that those of us in our New England paradise can forget that visitors see what we take for granted! Last year I walked out of my grocery store and was struck by just how beautiful a view I had right there in the parking lot, surrounded by mountains. I thought of friends in urban areas who hustle and bustle in and out of parking lots, on busy roads, with very few trees in sight, much less mountains. Good to take the slow road sometimes so you can SEE the beauty around you. Best, Peg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I just had to say that this photo is so beautiful. It's SO "Vermont". I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!