Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Creede

In May, our youngest daughter took a job at a theatre in a little town in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. She was overcome with emotion as she approached her summer home. Creede is 21 miles from the nearest town, the only town in Mineral County. Mike and I had the privilege of visiting her a couple of weeks ago. I took this photo of town from a place called Bachelor Loop--a road that winds up the mountain and through old mining camps. I must have commented a dozen times about how this place is the complete opposite of Karen's last home in Philadelphia.
I took lots of photos and thought a mosaic might be the best way to capture our visit. We went to Great Sand Dunes National Park. It is the newest of all of the National Parks and at the foot of the Sangre di Cristo Mountains in the San Luis Valley. The valley is about the size of Connecticut and the landscape a high mountain desert. Creede is a town of about 600 people. All around is evidence of the town's rich silver mining history.
Karen has decided to stay in Colorado. I hate that she lives so far away. After our visit, I completely understand.


2 comments:

  1. What beautiful country! We have a young lady who is thinking of staying in Texas. I'm thinking CO would be prettier. (Now don't tell on me.) At least, you'll always have someplace beautiful and interesting to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous place, no wonder she wants to live there. A lovely excuse to get away and visit.

    I thought I would stop by and see what you were up to. Have a lovely day.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!