Thursday, February 3, 2011

Nana

nana 002Nana and me, Easter Sunday 1962

My Nana was only 40 years old when I was born. She has been a constant in my life for almost 50 years. I was blessed with two precious sets of grandparents. All played active roles in my life. I lived within walking distance of Nana and Gramps’ house for some of the most difficult years of my growing up. Being with Nana was refuge for me.

Visits with Nana and Gramps might mean a trip to the “beauty parlor” back in the days when women went weekly to have their hair done. Sometimes it meant a trip to the laundromat. My sisters and I took turns spending the weekend with our grandparents. Often we went for an early evening ride to the beach, sitting in the backseat of their Chevy Impala, eating peppermint stick ice cream. We watched Lawrence Welk and Hogan’s Heroes and Pro-bowlers Tour. The memories of her are endless. And they haven’t ended. Nana is still alive and kicking.

So, it was with great excitement that I called her recently to tell her, I too will be a Nana in the fall. My daughter and son-in-law are expecting their first baby. I am the oldest of four sisters and the only one who isn’t a grandmother yet. My sisters all know though that when my time comes, I will take on the responsibility of being called Nana.

My Nana got choked up to hear the good news. Me too. I told her I would be a successful grandmother even if I were only half the Nana she has been to me.

3 comments:

  1. Oh such sweetness! Congratulations to you and to your family. What an exciting time for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cool is that. Congrats to you and your family. There is nothing quite as sweet as grandchildren. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that you will be an awesome Nana! I know I have 'grafted" grandchildren, but the thought of the waiting and the anticipation of a wee one is nothing in comparison. My time will come. :o) But, in the meanwhile, I am glad for you!

    PS: I hope I can be half the 'auntie' you are. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!