Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Haven

march 2011 001

Early morning.  I opened my eyes after Mike got up.  I looked out our bedroom window and wondered what the brown spot was in the snow.  Upon further inspection I saw ….

march 2011 002

A wee deer; the yearling we have seen with his/her mama on the edge of the woods behind our house.  Little deer opened sleepy eyes and looked at me.  I suppose the warmer ground above our septic tank attracted our young friend.  The winter isn’t kind to deer and winter is dragging on here in Central Vermont.  It’s not safe to feed deer, particularly this time of year.  We don’t do it and I felt sorry for the hungry look.

march 2011 006

Soulful eyes watched me as I moved about the house.  I hope Mama was nearby to show her little one to breakfast.  It made my day that the little deer found a haven in our yard last night.  Oh Lord, please bring us spring!

5 comments:

  1. What a great surprise! Lucky you, lucky deer and lucky us that you had your camera ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm joining you in an earnest desire to have spring show up. Poor little fellow...he wasn't there in the morning, right? That means his mama found him and he's doing as well as can be expected in this winter-hanging-on time. What nice pics you were able to get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our winter is dragging on too. Every night when hubby takes our dog for a walk, there are deer on the street. One night he counted 14. I hope this one survives the long winter. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics are so great. Thank you for sharing. I love the one when she is peeking in at you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by to wish you a very happy birthday today! Twyla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!