Monday, March 5, 2012

Who doesn’t love a pretty cake?

Mike’s birthday is this week so I invited his family over for a Sunday night dinner.  Here’s the thing.  I’m not loving the grocery store these days.  Every thing costs too much and it’s too far away for a girl who works full time.

I decided to make dinner from what I had in the house.  I keep a halfway decent pantry and a mostly full freezer (saves on trips to the dreaded grocery store….)  I decided on a turkey dinner.  Nothing fancy, just roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, veg, and cranberry sauce.  Easy to prepare, giving me a chance to sit down and watch a bad movie on a Sunday afternoon.

IMG_0371

That left dessert.  I know what Mike would have wanted if he knew he had a choice—“pig cake”-a cake mix with mandarin oranges confection with crushed pineapple and cool whip for topping.  Oh, and vanilla pudding mixed in for good measure.

I didn’t have everything for that.  So, I went with what I could make.  Thinking I would make a beautiful cake with fluffy seven minute frosting, I decided to make a white cake mix which is always good with a fruity filling.  Lemon pie filling would use up the egg yolks left from the frosting recipe.

Who doesn’t love a pretty cake?  That’s what I was thinking.  Until I spread the filling and set the top layer on.  And lemon oozed out everywhere.  Which made frosting the cake almost impossible.  This is a photo of a cake that won’t be making any waves on Pinterest.

It sure tasted good.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think it looks scrumptous!
    It's all in the taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It even looks as if it tasted good! You're doing better than I would be if I had to prepare a meal for more than the two of us. It would require a trip to the dreaded store beyond a doubt. I'd serve spaghetti. ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!