
It's not too many women in their 40's who still have a grandmother who can come to visit. But I do. My Nana Bliven will be 86 in December. She is "fit as a fiddle" as she would say and comes to stay in Vermont each fall and spring for a few weeks. She spends a bit of time with my Dad and with my sister Beth. And for a week or two with me.
Nana is pretty amazing. She is in great health. I attribute this to her diet that includes 1/2 a banana and a glass of red wine every day (though not eaten at the same time!!) When my grandmother is here, we are well fed. Not only do we have a full candy dish but she makes us dinners like macaroni and cheese and her famous meatloaf.
I grew up spending weekends with her and my grandfather. I was blessed to have them live right up the street from me during the difficult time following my parent's divorce when I was in junior high school. Nana and Gramps provided a haven from my angry mother and the demands of being the oldest of four daughters. Nana taught me things about life over the making of her bed. She would make one side and I would make the other. And we would talk about life. She is very practical.
Today is laundry day and I have the luxury of leaving my dirty clothes in the laundry room and Nana will wash. She expects to. She says she doesn't want to just sit around and do nothing while I'm at work. I feel a little bit guilty about this but I'm also proud. Proud to have a grandmother who can help when most women my age don't have such an important relative left in their lives.
Mike is going away for a few days and Nana is going to keep me company. Saturday she'd like to do a little shopping. I think I'll take her. She loves to be here with me. And even though there are times she treats me like I'm 12 instead of 45, I wouldn't trade our times together for anything.
Awwwww, isn't it great to still have a grandmother in your life? I do, too, even though I am much older than you. My nana is 98 and still puttering though she lives with my parents now. Her chore is folding laundry. She doesn't like it if anyone else takes over in that department.
ReplyDeleteOh! Goodness I've visited you before and didn't even realize it. I was about to comment all over again on about the same thing, but then I am a woman of a "certain age." LOL!
ReplyDelete