Today when I got home from work, I stepped outside. I don't quite remember when I could see bare ground. No hope for it any time soon. Yet, we had a yard full of company. The chickadees have been here all winter but the last few days we have had hairy woodpeckers, mourning doves, and a flock of wild turkeys. Tonight the turkeys alerted each other with their "gobble, gobble, gobble" and flew off. At lunchtime today, a blue jay visited. Spring is coming.
I just want to be able to go outside. Snow isn't fun anymore. I don't want to take photos of it or talk about it or look at it. I'd like it to melt away from my memory.
Tomorrow Mom and I are going on a thrift shop tour. I dearly hope I find some treasures. I have a list. I'm also planning to buy some hyacinth. Maybe some daffodils. And create a tablescape for Easter week. I am wondering how we will hold our annual easter egg hunt in two feet of snow.
This is the time of year that I become acutely aware of my surroundings. So anxious for any sign that the season is over. A trickle of water down the driveway is reason for excitement; the return of birds to my feeder after their winter somewhere else; Mom said that the willow trees are budding. Before long the warm spots in the sunshine will sprout green fronds of hope--crocus will bloom.
I'm reminded of a favorite hymn by Thomas Chisholm:Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.
Refrain
Great is Thy faithfulness!Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
Refrain
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Oh I love that old hymn. Just had a "bang and beller" session last night at the piano and we sang that one.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about the snow. It seems relentless this year. It's even snowing here this morning. (Don't visit my folder if you don't want to see anymore photos of snow today. LOL!)
Hope that you find all your treasures and that you'll share them all with us!
I love that hymn. I agree about the snow. This morning we awoke to a snow globe, but it has melted and you can see the ground again. The robins are visiting, but they are wearing little jackets and caps! Hope you have a great treasure hunt! Blessings, Karen
ReplyDelete