Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What Next?

It's taking a couple of days to catch up after the long, wet weekend away. When I returned home and started to read up on my favorite blogs, I noticed one had decided to call it quits. I admire her for seeing that what she was doing wasn't working for her. Blogging, for the sake of it, should be fun and fulfilling, at least in my opinion.

I've been thinking alot about what's next in my life. How did it happen that I became the mother of two young women? I think this is a common question. I've told young mothers over the last couple of years that I used to HATE when people told me that the days with small children were special and would be over too soon. When the girls were small, there were days I thought would never end! Yet, as predicted, the days ended. And too soon.

I told my sister in a conversation this evening that I think this generation thinks too much about our "purpose". I worry alot about whether or not I am using the gifts and talents God gave me. I wonder if I am doing what I am supposed to with my life. My husband's grandmother was a truly lovely person. When she died, the church was filled with people who told of her sense of humor, her commitment to her community, her love of family. I'm pretty sure Grammie Rose never gave a moment's thought to her "purpose". She simply lived.

Over the weekend I bought the June issue of Romantic Home magazine and delighted to see the pile of vintage tablecloths featured in one of the stories. I have a similar pile in my kitchen. I'm looking forward to using every one of them on my picnic table this summer.

Tomorrow I am posting my 100th post as part of Gracious Hospitality's Tea Blog-a-Thon. I don't know how I wrote 100 posts but there you have it. I am pretty chatty.

3 comments:

  1. No, my dear, you are not chatty enough! ;D

    One of your vintage tablecloths looks an awful lot like one of mine. I don't know what the women in my family did with their tablecloths, but they are in sorry shape. I don't imagine that there is enough to any of them to even put on a picnic table.

    Loved what you had to say about "purpose." I agree that we sometimes think too much. I've been in imminent danger of toppling into my own navel from time to time.

    Looking forward to your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Interesting point about "purpose" and if we think too much about it! I did think about what my purpose was when I turned 40. I hadn't given it a moments thought before that, I was a mom and there was no doubt that my purpose was to be a wife and mother. I didn't need to think about that one!

    But after 19 years of parenting, somehow I had the nagging feeling that God wanted more of me. My parenting job wasn't over, but I was freer during the day. He didn't want me to just float through life making myself happy, he wanted me to accomplish greater things for His purposes. So I had to align myself better to what I could do to really serve Him. So in that respect, I thought about purpose and made some changes.

    I do agree that many people are too introspective. They spend so much time thinking about their purpose and trying to find purpose that they don't actually get around to living for and serving God. They miss out on the "faithful" part of serving because they are lost in "thinking" about it. I am not all that introspective, even though I often think of ways to live deliberately. I guess I am a strange mix of considering my purpose and what God expects of me, and being a 'get things done' kind of person who doesn't waste time thinking too much. Not that I have it all figured out, that I know for sure!!!

    Thanks for the interesting point! I too admire "that person" and know how she feels. Blogging can quickly become overwhelming when you have a lot of readers and I appreciate her ability to make a conscious decision that blogging was not right for her right now!

    Happy day!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, that was long. Sorry! :-0 Speaking of pretty chatty! Gulp.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!