Monday, August 25, 2008

Saturday Treasure Hunt

For the first time in weeks, Mom and I had a Saturday morning field trip. We started with breakfast at our favorite diner and then we headed to a couple of yard sales sponsored by two local churches. When I yard-sale, I don't like to spend too much. I'm always fascinated by what people think is valuable. I didn't hit the jackpot this weekend but it was fun!
It's hard for me to pass up black trays. Even beat up ones like this one. Especially since it was only a quarter! I've been doing some work in my sewing room. I think this tray may be put to work there. I have a bunch of glass containers left from the wedding. I want to use them to hold sewing notions. I think they would look good on the tray. We'll see!
I also found a sweet old print of pansies. Pansies remind me of my grandmother that recently passed away. I have alot of purple in my bedroom right now. I think the print will be pretty in there.
The two books are for fun! I get a big kick out of reading old text books on business. I am old enough to have taken shorthand in high school. Back then you could take a college track or a business track in school. I didn't have the resources for college so I took Business. I was lousy at shorthand. I don't know if it is because I am left-handed or what but it was a challenge for me!
Gregg shorthand is a lost language. It belongs with slide rules and manual typewriters. There are some advances I am happy about. Though I do have to take notes at meetings still. Perhaps I should give shorthand a try again! (okay, maybe not.)

3 comments:

  1. I can remember my grandmother practicing her shorthand and my being fascinated by it. Looks to me as if you did hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember when you took shorthand. It fascinated me, even though I had no idea what your were writing. But, it made you even more grownup to me. :)

    I am reminded of Mammie when I see pansies as well. I have a trick up my sleeve for Christmas along those lines...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy, I took Greg shorthand in high school. I can remember my teacher like it was yesterday. I can still write the word actually...my favorite word to write in shorthand. Looks like you had a wonderful time, and brought home some great treasures. I took my mom to Newburyport a while back and we visited all the Vintage shops together. It was like walking down memory lane. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!