Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Housekeeping


Today's a big day, isn't it? Historic and all of that? We Americans will get a new President. One reason we are such a great country is we pass our leadership on from one person to the next in a peaceful, orderly way.

I know lots of us are thinking about the changes in the Oval Office and in Congress. But I've been thinking about housekeeping. The White House Residential Staff doesn't change. The maids who made George W. Bush's bed yesterday will make Barack Obama's bed tomorrow.

I've wondered about that transition. Today when all eyes are on the steps of the Capitol, an army of staff at the White House will create the new home for Barack, Michelle, and their daughters. By the time they arrive home this afternoon, they will have a sanctuary to retreat to. Their favorite foods will be in the fridge. Their family photos will be displayed. Their beds will be made. The White House will immediately become their home.

It's going to be a long day for the new First Family. Just like us, they will arrive home, throw off their shoes and reflect on their day. I pray it is one filled with happy memories, of peace and pride on a job done well and with integrity. I pray it will be so for the next four years.


5 comments:

  1. What a sweet post, one I never would have given thought too, yet it's so true. They are definitely going to need our prayers over the next 4 years. Dh watched the news today and although we are Canadians, he said how emotional it was for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to consider...and I had not, though I did see the moving trucks at the White House on tv today...one coming and one going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful process! I enjoyed your thoughts on the day, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read that article...very interesting! Thanks for including the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I borrow the housekeepers? Just for a day?

    The moving trucks go in and out the back...what I find amazing is that they literally move the stuff in THAT day and it is ready by bedtime. How cool is that? OTOH, Cheney hurt is back the other day moving boxes at the Observatory...while painful, I find it humorous and reassuring that they move boxes when moving house like we do :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!