When I went to get the mail today, I had an envelope from my friend "J". She occasionally sends me things she has torn out of magazines; there is one column we both find enjoyable and she shares them with me.
I love to receive personal mail. I grew up with penpals and far-away aunts who wrote to me. In the early years of our friendship, "J" lived far enough away that phone calling was long distance. With young families and 10 cent a minute telephone charges, we wrote to each other instead. I've often lamented that we should have kept those notes and letters spanning more than 20 years. It would be a funny, sad, and wonderful story of our friendship.
Today we e-mail each other. I finally came to my senses and saved a few letters from "J" but I routinely delete e-mail notes. E-mail does not have the same lasting appeal as the handwritten note or letter.
While technology allows us instant communication via texting (egads) and e-mail, there is something positively delightful about seeing your name handwritten on a beautiful envelope mixed in with the bills when you go to the mailbox.
Oh how I agree. I love e-mail, however for me a letter just seems to mean so much more. I starting writing letters again this year to my mom. We talk everyday on the phone, however she is forgetful and I thought a letter would be so much better for her. She loved it.
ReplyDeleteOh, I couldn't agree more! I have a thing for paper and texture. A shame that written communication in the form of a beautifully hand written letter has become a lost art.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the truth? I have received some beautiful emails through the years, but I've never saved a one. Maybe I need to change that.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend, Kathy!
Kathy, you might want to check out my Sun. thankful thread. A little something just for you.
ReplyDeleteSo true, a personal, hand written letter is so wonderful to send and receive. I wish it would make a comeback! Let's all get that pretty paper out and our favourite pens! Blessings, Heather
ReplyDeleteHey, you have a little something waiting for you over yonder...
ReplyDelete:)
Good morning Kathy. I so agree, I love hand-written letters. I collect old letters and marvel at the time they took lettering them perfectly and choosing just the right words. And isn't it a thrill when the mailbox holds a letter.
ReplyDeleteKaren