Friday, February 20, 2009

Treasure Hunting



Do you ever pretend to be a tourist and visit places nearby? Last Saturday Christie and I visited Quechee Gorge Village. We started out by having breakfast for lunch at The Farmer's Diner, a neat restaurant that serves food locally grown. Mmmm, maple cured bacon.....

The reason for our visit was to treasure hunt. Quechee Gorge Village has a big antique mall. Christie and I spent the better part of the afternoon looking for "treasures". It's more of a challenge at places like this to find affordable purchases. I refuse to spend too much money but I did find a couple of things to bring home.

I've always liked vintage canisters. I have a few already. This set came with some free dust.

I'm going to find a place to put the canisters in my kitchen. I still need to take some photos. Maybe this weekend. The bird tin was a must and I did pay more for it than I usually would ($5)--but it's birds. I think the bird tin will find a place in the sewing palace.


For some reason I am attracted to old art books. Come to think of it, I have a collection of them. This book reminded me of the trip I took to Paris with my daughter Karen. I never thought I'd be able to say I've been to the Louvre. But I have. The book is filled with color plates of art you can see at the museum.

I've been thinking about whether or not there is a way to incorporate these old images into some art or craft. I think this picture of the Lacemaker by Vermeer would make a pretty start to the cover of a journal.

All year long I look in my wallet at the end of the week and put the one dollar bills (if there are any!!) into a special purse just for treasure hunting/thrifting. It's a painless way to have a few dollars to spend on something frivolous. Of course, my husband keeps hoping one of these days I'll find something I can bring to the Antiques Road Show and discover I've hit the jackpot!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, that would be great fun to find the $250,000 prize! Your canister set appears to be in wonderful condition and all those colors to work with. It's going to look wonderful in your kitchen. I agree with you about the painting...it really would make a lovely journal cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love treasure hunting. It's so much fun. Your canister set is so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new canisters and vintage tin. And that art book of art from the Louvre is lovely. My husband and I went to the Louvre when we spent the summer in France probably 37 years ago! I wish I had brought something like that book home with me. The louvre remains one of my most cherished memories. Would love to go again. Have a perfect weekend, Kathy.
    xo...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds, the colours in the cannister set is stunning! Enjoy! Blessings, Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!