Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Retreat Reflection


It took a few days to process all I learned at SAW (Squam Art Workshop). Frankly I went with a hope and a prayer that I would be shown a true vision of what creative direction I should take. What I found is I needed some rest. Some peace. I needed the conversations on the screened in porch as the light left the sky and bats began their dance over the water. I needed to be a student. It's rare for me to receive instruction. I had to be open and not defensive. I couldn't apologize because I was learning.



I learned that drawing is NOT a talent. It's a skill everyone can learn. Tracie Lyn Huskcamp invited me to SAW after I purchased some art from her last winter. I didn't know her before I discovered her blog in the first issue of Artful Blogging. I've followed her blog ever since and purchased many lovely things from her. She is a deep, deep soul. Her art is wonderful. Her poetry, dare I say, divine. If I hadn't taken Tracie's invitation seriously, I would never have found out I was capable of this:

I learned there is a correct way to knit and I was doing it wrong. Laura Nelkin knew in 10 seconds what I'd been doing since I learned to knit as a child, face to face with my grandmother. I figured it was wrong because I was left-handed. Now I can knit socks. I learned what SSK means. Knitting has a language all of its own!
I learned to slow down and enjoy the process. I spent a morning at a sewing machine overlooking a small bay, making a cloth bag from a vintage pillowcase. I enjoyed the camraderie and meeting Betz White. I've just discovered Betz posted about our fun class here. What a treat it was to be surrounded by successful artists. Everyone left their egos at the interstate. At SAW instructors and students shared living space and dining room tables. I was in awe of working side by side with teachers I had only read about on their blogs, in their books, and in magazines.

I learned I am capable of walking long distances on rocky paths, carrying my supplies in a backpack. For my sisters, I didn't collect stones but a giant pinecone as a reminder of the walks in the woods, sometimes with birds as my companions, sometimes other women. I learned creative people come in all shapes and sizes and ages too. From the lively young women to the sturdy older ones, we all shared a common love of creating something beautiful with our hands.

My days on Squam Lake were a blessing. The vision came in the quiet moments as I journaled on the porch in the wee hours of the morning. I was renewed as I listened to a Loon lullaby. I was energized by conversations and laughter. My days were in fact, true retreat.

Upon reflection, I realized that being creative is my sanctuary from an otherwise chaotic, stressful life filled with incredible joys but also many, many challenges. The quiet space my dear husband made for me in our home has taken on new meaning. Few of us can spend our days in peaceful contemplation. But as morning arrives, I find myself in a place of sanctuary in my sewing "palace", taking time away each day (as I am able) to remind myself of the lessons I learned at Squam Lake.

6 comments:

  1. Tears roll down my face has I read this because I knew just how important this was to you. I felt deep within that you would come back a new person and that your creativity would blossom as God meant it to. I was thrilled to read this today. I've been waiting on baited breath for this one post.

    The pictures are stunning, the drawing is incredible and the peace you found is beautiful. May it carry you each day as you create new things and until the next SAW retreat. Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Just ohhhh... How wonderful that Spirit met you there and that you are feeling more centered. This sounds like a wonderful thing for any woman to participate in. Isn't it funny that you've discovered that you hadn't learned how to do something properly? Take your time and learn to do it easily and well is a lesson we all can heed. Drawing isn't a talent? Oh my! I had no idea. Now I'm off to follow your links...thanks for providing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kathy, it sounds absolutely heavenly to me!!! You are such a precious soul, I'm so glad that you were able to experience this ~ it makes for wonderful memories and life learning....hugs and love,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy... this is SUCH a beautiful and poignant post... so heartfelt and reflective. I think you captured not only your feelings but those of so many others that came together in these moments, this place.

    My time at SAW was enlightening and meaningful as well.... and I will be forever grateful for so many things... but most of all that you came a wee way to be with me.... I think we needed each other... and just didn't know it until we met face to face.

    Your post card sits right beside my computer. I look at it often and remember.... and smile..

    and the tears continue to stream down my face as I write this comment.

    XO always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kathy,
    Chills and tears cometh as I read your reflections of SAW. Best of all, you brought all the wonderful memories back to the forefront of my day! Wasn't it so lovely! Your writing is magic. Peg

    ReplyDelete
  6. being creative is my sanctuary...I love this self knowledge you now understand. I need to grab a hold of this and give my self permission to go my place of sanctuary...sigh :]

    As a drawing teacher I can confirm that drawing is a skill that can be taught:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!