Sunday, January 3, 2010

Epiphany

Another snowy day here in my neck of the woods. Another day at home. What a blessing. Yesterday I took down my Christmas tree. Just as last year, I asked Mike to put it out near the bird feeders, giving the tree a second life of giving in the form of protection for my feathered visitors through the winter. I hate seeing the Christmas season pass. It can be a melancholy time. When I was growing up, my mother celebrated the "Feast of the Ephiphany" with a lasagna dinner. Following the meal, we would give gifts of love in the form of handwritten coupons of time. Maybe I would give my sisters a night off from doing the dishes. The gifts of love lasted longer than the season, cementing our relationships and reminding us that there is more in life than sparkling lights and pretty presents.
It brings me happiness to see the birds finding shelter in my discarded Christmas tree. It's season of giving is extended until spring.


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to extend the joy of that Christmas tree. I would follow suit, but the next northeaster would send it up to the highway. Love the pictures.
    You and your family have a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super idea, but you won't mind if I toss my fake back into the bag do you? What a great idea for celebrating Epiphany, which we do here, but not in that way. Your mom had an inspiration there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to make double use of a tree. I love it. And you get to enjoy watching the birds too. Hugs and wishing you all the best in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Christmas tree idea. How wonderful it looks outside with snow and birdies resting on it's branches.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!