
Today women everywhere (and maybe even a few men but not in my family) will be donning aprons, literally and figuratively. A feast must be prepared. I know that at my sisters, Nana is getting ready, preparing her creamed onions so she doesn't need to fuss tomorrow. I know that at my Mother's house, she will be making the first fruitcake of the season. I don't need to cook too much since it's not my turn to host dinner.
We aren't a fancy family. Nothing resembling William Sonoma will be present at our table. Beth will probably use nice paper plates for dinner and will get creative with serving bowls. Maybe my brother-in-law will bring in plywood to make a table large enough to hold the crowd. Beth borrowed a couple of tablecloths from me last week, so she's covered there.
I'll be up late tonight making a carrot cake for my father's birthday. He really likes this dessert I make with chocolate pudding and canned cherries. We eat cool whip on our desserts but the carrot cake will be made "from scratch"--no skimping for dear old dad!
Tomorrow morning, Nana will get up early and scrub the hell out of the turkey, inside and out. Then she will prepare the bird and instruct Beth to tie the legs together once the stuffing is inserted. Nana may wear an apron over her pajamas, if my sister has one. One of the most beautiful things I can see is my grandmother's hands preparing our Thanksgiving turkey. She will be 86 years old in a month.
I look at magazines and think what a wonderful thing it must be to lay out linens and china, silver and crystal. Yet I am so thankful for the women in my family who put their hearts into the habits of our family--making sure there is a spot at the table for each person, that there is enough milk, that each one gets their Thanksgiving favorite and that there is a green vegatable like green beans for those who can't stomach turnip or butternut squash.
I am surrounded by amazing women. Some of them old like Nana. Some of them young like my nieces. I have daughters and sisters. I have a mother. And a stepmother. And a mother-in-law! I'm thankful for them all. Each of them will bring something to the day that is uniquely theirs.
The beauty of Thanksgiving is in the company of family. Tomorrow I will arrive at Beth's and the kitchen will be filled with women in aprons.
The men will be watching football. But that's another post!
Look at all those beautiful women wearing their aprons. Love it!
ReplyDelete